The pumice stone for sandblasting is a complex natural silicate mainly composed of silica (SiO2) in which dissolved oxides of different elements are present.
Even if it is a silicate, it is made up of amorphous silica. There’s no presence of quartz in its allotropic crystalline forms.
The pumice powder, ideal for a delicate sandblasting, is obtained from a porous and light volcanic rock. It is particularly indicated for a clean and delicate sandblasting.
A set of factors make pumice widely used in smoothing and cleaning applications for industry and consumption products: availability, neutral pH, chemical non-toxicity.
The property of being rather hard to smooth but enough soft not to damage surfaces make it a useful product to go alongside the other sandblasting abrasives.
- Smoothing: pumice is used to clean and smooth printed circuits, as well as for the preparation of other electronic components.
- It is used by dentists in cleaning teeth, to give gloss to enamel and in finishing dental plates.
- Moreover it is used in tumbling to finish products such as buttons and other objects and delicate items which require remarkable smoothing.
- Sandblasting: it is used to clean from the effect of time and pollution of buildings, above all historical, when also normal sand proves to be too aggressive;
- Softening and conditioning textile surfaces: the stone-washing treatment is efficiently realized using pumice. The combination of pumice granules and especially designed washing machines allows softening and conditioning the look of the most rigid denim and other fabrics, giving at the same time the well-known used effect.